11 October, 2008

White Lightning Strikes University of Ghana. 37 Escape, Barely.

That's the top headline in all of the national media outlets today. Yesterday the University of Ghana held its interhall 12 kilometer cross-country race. Though I live in a graduate hostel, I've been training early, early in the morning with a group from an undergraduate dormitory, Akuafo Hall, laboremus et sapiamus.

I am proud to report that despite difficult conditions including heat, hills, and many faster, more athletic runners I persevered and came in first. First of all international students running in the race. First of all masters students running in the race. First of out of the 10 runners who finished last. So just 37 other runners barely finished ahead of me by only a matter of tens of minutes. So you can see my hearty dinner of fufu and goat meat was well deserved. I would like to take this opportunity to thank my fans and to announce my retirement from long distance running while I am at the top of my field - my field consisting of other slow, American, African Studies students.

No comments: